Thursday, September 25, 2008

...by the fireplace, in white.


pg.99 - 'document #5'.

When it comes to $kramz stuff I think the stuff that's definitely going to stand the test of time for me is all the harsher, more fuck-off noisy stuff. Like Reversal Of Man, Orchid's last record, etc etc. I mean there's lots of great stuff still being done, like in any genre but personally I got lost when it became this 'screamo' thing instead of just another version of hardcore, a reaction against everything else and a way to make music that isn't polished and commidifed and stale.

Page Ninety-Nine I'll always love. Even if they didn't have like the great lyrics of other bands (some is cool, some is, uh, you know...), they just fucking ruled. They were as messy as a band with multiple singers and guitarists and bassists - famously at one point they had 14 members - would expect to be and completely unafraid of reaching outside any perceived limits of their music. And all "DIY" whatever that means and all that shit. I don't know, there's a lot of bullshit romanticism to it but they put out some great records, and a lot of great bands came out of this band (personal faves: Haram, Pygmy Lush and Malady), and something about the whole just fucking going for it, just not caring about the limitations and fucking doing it and making music that is personal and inspiring really struck me. "Love yr friends, die laughing".
Anyway Document #5 isn't actually my favourite record of theirs. I feel like whereas with this record there's like the screamo bits and the metalcore bits and whatever, on later stuff like Document #8 it got a lot more seamless. Also that record seems so unbelievably pissed and defiant about "punk rock in the wrong hands". But this one is still great and has two of their best songs. The end riff of 'by the fireplace, in white' is killer and apparently live could go on forever, which is something I definitely wish I saw. And then there's the song 'my application to heaven'. Seriously. If you haven't heard it I'll let you hear it, but it's so bone headed yet also in the context of the lyrics heartfelt and just so fucking awesome.
I was listening to the radio the other day and hearing about the church threatening to pull out of the hospitals it owns/funds if Doctors were forced to comply with laws that enabled women greater access to abortion technologies. I was hearing that and just going 'I can't believe you can be a fucking chrisso and into hardcore'. I just don't fathom it. Yeah there's the personal belief thing and that's great and all and do what you want there, that's totally cool. I have my own spirituality as well. But this fucking using economic discursive power to fuck with people and try and subvert their freedoms? That's no different than any other piece of shit corporate entity using their economic resources to fuck humans over. It's just hidden behind a belief system. And so yeah I decided rather than do anything meaningful I decided to post this record. Fuck you jesus indeed.

PG. 99 - 'document # 5'
Ruiner of Life / Comedy of Christ / Skin Pack / My Application to Heaven / Hotel Nevada 1982 / Humans With Forked Tongues / Murder, Conductor / (.................) / Sounds of Gravesites (upturned) / By The Fireplace, In White.