Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WE LEFT OUR PLANETS LONG AGO


















THRONES


Call me a humorless cocksucker if you want but I don't really like 'wacky' music. The whole thing reeks of circus metal, ska, and - god forbid, primus or mr bungle. Maybe it's one of those 'you had to be there' things and 'there' was being a bassplayer and going to highschool in the eastern suburbs in the 90s, I dunno. Maybe it's because, as discussed below, most of the music I enjoy I also find kind of hilarious in one way or another. Either way self-consciouly 'zany' shit generally tends to be unfunny uni funk crap, or reek of lame 'don't you like FUN' crap like doomhawk.

There are however exceptions to this: anything Joe Preston is involved with and anything Sam McPheeters is involved with. This is of course subjectivity coming into play but fuck you it's my blog and those two dudes make me laugh. A lot. I mean it's possible to combine 'humor' with 'a message' and lots of bands do that to varying degrees of success, and McPheeters does it too actually. But both of them are just completely out there on some whole kind of other level, it's not next level it's like at least 20 years into the future shit.

So the last few nights I've been pulling 14 hour shifts in front of the computer (after my usual workday) writing an essay and it's frankly driven me fucking insane. Just finishing up the final spell check and reference list now with Thrones as my soundtrack and it's somehow appropriate. Thrones is the solo project of Joe Preston, otherwise known as a guy that's played bass and guitar in a fucking TONNE of bands including the Melvins, Men's Recovery Project, High on Fire, Sunn and most recently Harvey Milk. Dude rules, and the record's still in print so I'm not upping the whole thing but here's four songs off the 'day late, dollar short' collection of comp songs and other shit on southern lord that's basically his easiest thing to find right now. It'll give you an idea of the fucking genius of this guy. A combination of the Melvins, Ween, weed, self-effeacing nerdy white guy humor, and Mystery Science Theater 3000. When I finally completely lose my mind I hope it sounds like this.

Oh and if you steal my idea for using 'oracle' as walk on music should the ocassion ever rise where I could get away with using it, I'll...eh...probably just cry about it on the internet.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?imwjkoy5tyz

Thrones 'day late, dollar short' (excerpt), Southern Lord
Reddleman / Silvery Colorado / Epicus Doomicus Bumpitus / Oracle (rush cover)