Thursday, January 22, 2009

lay yr body on the day


The Shivering - 'and brand the ground with storm and song' collection.

There's a lot of good things to be said about constants: the things that remain what they are every time you come back to them. Especially when you're on the edge of some huge changes, and it feels like large chunks of yr life are already tearing off from the whole, in preparation for the moment they finally seperate completely and go crashing to the ground, to end up in a thousand splinters scattered about yr feet.

Whoa, heavy man.

I got into this band around about the last time my life completely fell apart. There's nothing amazing or special to them really, they're just a constant for me: I feel, I hope, that I will always enjoy this kind of melodic, rocking hardcore, 'emo', Guy Piccioto influenced shit, whatever. I don't really have any particularly meaningful attachment to this record or this band that I associate with that time, and I'm kind of thankful for that really because it did ruin some other music for me. I dunno, I just got into these guys when I went and saw my friends at the record store and was after something Rites of Spring-ish. This is what they pointed me at.

And Brand the Ground With Storm and Song is a collection of Shivering stuff that's not on their first LP, Behind Broken Eyes. That LP's a bit different, maybe a bit more mid-paced and mathy. This record, of songs mostly done as they branched out to a four piece, is way more revolution summer DC type shit. And you should know just from reading this blog how much I'm all about that. The Shivering prominently featured Spencer Rangitsch who (if I'm not getting this mixed up, it's a possibility) went on to be in the criminally brief Bullets In, and is now playing in Baader Brains. And other dudes but I've no idea what they're doing. It's cool hey. Nothing groundbreaking, sometimes misses the mark but a pretty fucking raging collection of songs. Particularly lay down (best riff on the record) and coda q (best change on the record). I like bands that let their vocals rip and don't give a fuck about them being in tune, but, don't get me on that soapbox. If you like that Calvary record I posted ages ago you'll be into this one.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mkjznzdd2im

THE SHIVERING, 'AND BRAND THE GROUND WITH STORM AND SONG' (ALONE RECORDS AL054 (04'ish)

Of the Liars / Lay Down / Daniel / Brand the Lion's Mouth / Coda Q / Look Away / Concept of Place / Forged / With Disconnection / To the Ground / Weave / Holding Pieces / Through